Friday, October 1, 2010

Librarian's Pick of the Week: Monster


Title: Monster
Author: Walter Dean Myers
Published: 2004
Age: 14+

Winner of the Printz Award. Winner of the Coretta Scott King Award. National Book Award Finalist.

Synopsis: "Steve Harmon's black. He's in jail, maybe forever. He's on trial for murder. And he's sixteen years old. Steve: "Sometimes I feel like I have walked into the middle of a movie. Maybe I can make my own movie. The film will be the story of my life. No, not my life, but of this experience. I'll call it what the lady prosecutor called me . . . MONSTER."

Review: "Monster, by Walter Dean Myers (HarperCollins, 1999), was written as a first-person dramatic film script in which Steve, a 16-year-old teenager on trial for murder, recounts his arrest, experiences while in jail, and trial. This unusual story, read smoothly and efficiently by Peter Francis James, will be enjoyed by young adult listeners who will feel the courtroom drama even more emotionally through James' narration. However, his authoritative, matter-of-fact tone keeps the narration from getting maudlin. His rhythmic, steady speech is usually gentle and reassuring, but it does show anger when appropriate. James realistically recreates Steve's speech, and on occasion changes tone or pitch to differentiate characters. This audiobook will stimulate interest in the book and other novels by Meyers." - School Library Journal


If you're intrigued, don't forget to check our library's catalog for this book!

0 comments:

You Might Also Like